Monday, September 6, 2010

I Swore I Wouldn't Start With An Apology

And I won't. I have no need to apologize to anyone for not blogging because dang it, I have better things to do. Like sleep.

College: Week 1 has passed me by and it's officially Labor Day in the state of Indiana as of this writing. All that I can say is that college life is...fantastic.

The people here are amazing. Every free moment we have is devoted to fellowship--whether it be hanging out at lunch or playing Halo or running around with a Frisbee or jamming with a guitar--and even though I miss home, I am now absolutely certain: I do not, and cannot, regret coming here.

My classes are not quite as awesome as dorm life, but that is to be expected. Nonetheless, they are immensely fun. This semester, I'll be studying the Applications and Ethics of Technology; the Foundations of Christian Thought; Public Speaking; Expository Writing; and Professional Writing.

Of the list, Professional Writing is by far my favorite (though it is admittedly terrifying). My professor is a myth in and of himself. Some say that he is not bound by Time as mortal beings are; others that he is in fact an extraterrestrial; and still others suggest that if he stared at you long enough, you would explode in a puddle of red ink. (There is a real chance that all of these are true at once.) I am genuinely convinced that he could destroy me telepathically. That being said, however, he is without doubt the best teacher I have. He absolutely will not be satisfied by anything less than perfection, and heaven knows I need that sort of discipline. Too long has my personal motto been "oh, that's good enough." That won't work here.

I've already written about how gorgeous the campus is, but it bears mentioning again; this is seriously one of the prettiest places I've ever seen. Everything is so colorful and vibrant. Up until the tail end of this week, the only downside was the oppressive heat and humidity, but now even that's toning down significantly. I can honestly say that I feel that I could live here forever--but take that with a grain of salt. It is only my first week.

I don't know if I've already said this, but my roommate is pretty awesome. He's very laid back and yet also very clean; I am fully convinced that he is the only thing keeping our room from being a nuclear wasteland. Further, my floor-mates--known as FOSOians (our floor is affectionately known as FOSO, standing for Fourth [Floor] South [Building], which it no longer technically is, but run with it)--are some of the coolest people I've had the good fortune to meet. I really couldn't have asked for a better place to experience my freshman year of college.

See what I mean by life being awesome?

No comments:

Post a Comment