Friday, August 27, 2010

Arrival!

My first impression of Indiana was of color.

In Denver, I thought I knew of color; I knew the blue of the mountains and the blue of the sky, the white of winter and the green of pines. The first thing I learned at college was that I hadn't even encountered color yet. For Colorado is naturally mountain-scape, and its people imitate it in their architecture: grandiose spires of silver steel that blot out the sky. Quite by accident, Denver is a gray place.

Indiana is not. This is a place of green and blue more vibrant than I could possibly have anticipated. Every stretch of highway is walled in by trees, and the greenery only breaks to reveal glassy black lakes shot through with sunlight. Looking at it, I couldn't help but feel that I was built for this place--this land of undulating emerald and rippling sapphire.

The campus of Taylor is no exception to these laws; everything is bright and lush and gorgeous. I seem to have lucked out in that my dorm neighbors the campus's lake. I haven't had a chance to really look at it yet, but from what I've seen, it's only cementing the idea: I've arrived.

Now that I've written out my hundred artful words for today, let's quickly canvas the hohum:
We arrived in Indy on Thursday, began our drive to Upland, and slept at a Best Western; woke up at 6 (which to us is 4) and ate breakfast; drove to Upland; moved me in; and spent the rest of the day walking around and getting a feel for the campus. This place, honestly, is fantastic; I've never seen anywhere so pretty. The campus really is just breathtaking. Its beauty is compounded by the awesomeness of the people; everyone is excited and exciting, genuine and genuinely interested, and above all thrilled to be here. It's infectious.

Tomorrow will be largely uneventful until lunch, when the parents will be asked to leave. And that'll be it; I'll be on my own. I can't convince myself of the finality yet, but I don't doubt that it will hit hard and fast when it does. It doesn't help that I'm already missing everybody back home. It's certainly not the first time I've gone a day without hanging out with my best friends, but knowing how long this particular separation will last makes it harder.

Even so, life goes on, and we persevere. Until next we meet, dear readers: fairfarren.

No comments:

Post a Comment